[AMRadio] Equipment storage

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Mar 27 11:00:28 EDT 2015

I have a bit too much equipment to keep it all in my shack and do not have a controlled climate building to store it in, rather I have a utility building that doubles as my garage.  I have a couple of receivers in the building and detest they are subject to the weather changes in that building so I decided to find a better way.

I settled on the “Space Bag” made by Ziplock.  They make a “Jumbo” size and it fit my NC 183D with space to spare.  After applying the vacuum cleaner to the valve it sucked the air out of the bag.  That will give the equipment some protection against the elements of moisture and dust.  Since the equipment was designed by people who expected heat and cold the receiver should remain in good condition until I decide to take it out, at least it will be as clean as it was when I put it in.  Removing the moisture should reduce, if not eliminate, corrosion that can occur when metal is exposed to moisture in the air and temperature changes.

I am sure the valve will leak some, but I can always evacuate it again.  You can buy a cheaper version sold by Wal-Mart, but it doesn’t have the spacer under the valve to keep it from sealing off against flat surfaces.  In that case put something under the valve such as a piece of filter from an air handler filter to keep the valve supported off the top of the case so the valve does not lay on a flat surface and seal off before removing as much air as possible.  The bag I bought is large enough to easily handle a DX 100 or Globe Champion 300.  For me, perfect for long term storage.  I used my shop vac to suck the air out and it worked, however, the valve is designed for the same size tubing that is on your house vacuum cleaner.  either will work but I imagine the home vacuum will be easier to use and may be better.

Don’t know if anyone else has a similar problem or if this will work for you but thought I would share.

Jim
W5JO