[AMRadio] KOMA radio

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Mar 28 22:19:39 EDT 2015

You are right Don, they are Blaw-Knox.  I forget the height but think they
were about 300 ft.  The last set of  guys were about half way up.  I tried
to locate the coverage by the local newspaper but couldn't fine it.  They
had pictures of the base installation of one of them.  I have yet to hear if
they will replace them or not.  The OKC competitor at the time, WKY had a
Franklin which they repaired about a decade back, so maybe there is hope.

Given the current call sign is KOKC and it is all talk, which serves a
mostly niche market, I am not sure the revenues for the station will be
enough to support replacement.  The current owners bought the station a few
years back and paid near 1.6 million for the license and location.  One
thing that KOMA had going was it drew a large sum of national revenue in
those days and I am not sure what they do now.

A fellow ham and friend was hired a few months back to work on coverage and
the licensing of the station.  I haven't talked to him so am not sure what
they are up to.  However I bet they very well may give up the 50 KW and
coverage to opt for more of a local map.

Sad deal all around.

Jim
W5JO