[AMRadio] RE Protocol to remove a stuck slug.


K3PID Ron.K3PID at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 30 19:40:23 EDT 2015


Reference Jim Liles post...

Thanks Jim! I am working on a Hammarlund HQ-180 and discovered that T-10 in
the 60 KHz chain was frozen solid. Couldn't budge the slug. In case you
aren't familiar with T-10 the under chassis end is buried deep beneath a
multi deck rotary switch and it would be a horrendous job to remove the
transformer and even to just remove the can. It had to be repaired from the
top! So taking a tip from you, I carefully drilled out the top of the can to
just over 1/4" dia. then broke up and removed the frozen core. I used a
small parts magnet to extract the pieces. The to be sure that the new slug
didn't get stuck in some damaged threads, I ran a 1/4 - 28 tap into the core
to clean up the threads. The new slug went in smooth and easy. Viola! just
like new.

Ron K3PID



More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 20 Nov 2017.