[AMRadio] Semi OT: The DARK Side

Max Cotton m0ghq at outlook.com
Tue Mar 31 14:44:55 EDT 2015

If you want to do some proper SMD work you will need some decent needle tweezers, Titanium ones are best, liquid flux is a must in a pen brush dispenser, I use a Weller WD-2M solder station with needle tips and hot tweezers - ideal for removal and replacement of small components, a Leister Hot air gun with a 3mm nozzle, a decent magnifier with an integral lamp, I also would recommend some 3.5/4.5 (YMMV) reading glasses and lastly a set of the old 'helping hands' to hold the job whilst you solder the board. Also all the anti-stat precautions are a must, wristband, mat etc.I do proto SMD work for a living, it is fun and challenging, I personally use silver loaded tin/lead solder it just flows nicely,  all these tools are not out of the reasonable price to buy especially on the e markets nowadays. I have the same setup at home and I mend / build all sorts of electronics. I am not phased by hand working any SMD device nowadays even 0201's but I still find BGA's a challenge to rework hihi. I still prefer tubes over 3 legged fuses anyday though!73, Max M0GHQ/W8BX