[AMRadio] BC1004B

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri May 1 14:43:55 EDT 2015

>  The only original cap left is the oil-filled filter cap in the power supply.

It might not be a bad idea to leak test the cap.  I have had two oil
caps in the p.s. of my CR88 short on me.  They were each 4 mfd 500 v.
Over time the seals around the lugs let in air a bit and the
dielectric becomes contaminated.  The first time it happened I
replaced the cap with a NOS Sangamo 600 v. 5 mfd oil cap.  The second
time it happened I got serious and replaced the remaining two with two
sets of 1 mfd 600 v. polypropylene caps, 5 each paralleled.   I got
lucky both times--I was in the shack or not far away and caught the
failure right away the first time and within 15 minutes or so the
second time.

Rob
K5UJ