[AMRadio] NEARfest (was Re: Radio Operators)

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun May 3 16:55:40 EDT 2015

In my area many of the small hamfests have almost died out.  It seems if
they are not big they aren't surviving.

Of course the premier fest in the area where I live is Belton with Dallas
coming in second.  The only ones that do well are associated with larger
cities.  Oklahoma city is now bordering on a small fest, somewhat due to the
fact they have been gypsies in the last few years and have settled on a poor
location.  The fest in Claremore, near Tulsa is a good one and I understand
the Austin, TX is good.  It is strange that we hear little of anything in
the Houston area although I know there is one there.

I haven't been to the Little Rock or Ft. Smith, AR fests in a long time so
don't know how they are doing.  The same goes for the Duke City fest in
Albuquerque but I do know from reports the fest in Midland, TX is suffering.
It is a sad commentary for me to attend one of the fests only to meet and
greet old friends.  I do try to find some parts when I need them so the
commercial guys can make  a little money.  I hope the smaller fests come
back before I am unable to attend, right now I am leery of driving to one of
the big ones in the larger cities.

Thanks for the reports guys.

Jim
W5JO