[AMRadio] NEARfest (was Re: Radio Operators)

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:15:23 EDT 2015

On 05/03/2015 03:55 PM, Jim Wilhite wrote:
> In my area many of the small hamfests have almost died out.  It seems
> if they are not big they aren't surviving.
>
> Of course the premier fest in the area where I live is Belton with
> Dallas coming in second.
> [...]
> It is strange that we hear little of anything in the Houston area
> although I know there is one there.

The Greater Houston Hamfest might be confused with reports of the
'Rosenberg Hamfest'.  They are, in fact, one in the same.  There's a
hamfest at the end of February in Orange, TX, another in July in Texas
City, TX and an annual (sometimes) tailgate fest at the local hamstore,
but advance notice is sometimes as little as the week of. ~shrug~

I wasn't able to attend the last fest in Rosenburg - had unexpected work
come up at the last minute, and sent KA5SSY and KR5STL down to do the
trading for me, but that's the life of a hot-shot driver.  I calculated
the miles, Jim, and in the last year have racked up 130,000~ish miles.

The GOOD thing about this is that there are times that I -do- get to
make a fest, unexpectedly.  The one time I was at Dayton, OH, I
literally 'stumbled' across it, headed from Missouri over to New
Jersey.  I was able to make the Claremore, OK hamfest that way, once, as
well as the Jackson, MS hamfest.

Claremore was good, Jackson was better.  The Dayton Hamvention, Jim, was
like Belton -used- to be when there were two or three full rows of
tailgaters and a line of cars trying to get into the Bell County Expo
Center.... x10!

I've scheduled time off this year to attend Dayton. Hope to get in
Friday afternoon, Saturday and then haul it back to Houston after a
last-minute look Sunday morning.

Hope to see -someone- from here at Dayton!

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR