[AMRadio] Something to ponder while the filaments are warming up. was: Good News

J.D. MacAulay, WQ8U via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Wed May 27 11:10:37 EDT 2015

Absolutely amazing!
So a while back the Congress authorized government departments to collect fees to cover the expense of their specific activities serving citizens (many of whom already pay taxes for the departments to service their needs.)
So the FCC sets up a fee schedule to cover the cost of issuing vanity call licenses.  Over the years this fee increases to the current $21.40.
Now the FCC discovers that it costs more than $21.40 to process the fees and proposes eliminating the fee to save money!  Only in our government, which has the power to set fees,  could they develop a system that costs more to process the fees than the fees generate and claim a cost savings by eliminating the collection of a fee. Amazing!
In the meanwhile, the cost of issuing the vanity call licenses continues but without the FCC trying to collect a specific fee to cover the expense of issuing the license.   What happened to the original goal of covering the expense of issuing the licenses?  The FCC is now going to spread that across the other license fees.  That doesn't seem to follow the spirit of the direction from Congress to have the service paid for by the citizen receiving the service. Oh well, probably the current Congress won't notice or care since that idea was developed by an earlier Congress and who knows what they might have been thinking.
Wonder if anyone in the FCC even thought of changing the system so the fee is not collected until the license is about to be awarded thus eliminating the need to refund fees?  Nah.......
 Something to ponder while the filaments are warming up.
73Mac
WQ8U
Hillsborough, NC