[AMRadio] collins 828c

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun May 31 11:01:27 EDT 2015

I think he is interested in a Collins "power pebble" that is free for
the taking in Camden NJ.   (the 5 KW version was called the "power
rock.")

I sent him what I could find about how to get hold of the guy who
wants to get rid of it.

This rig, if I have the right one in mind, is the last tube rig
Collins made for 1 KW AM broadcasting.  Came out around 1975.

Collins sold that part of their business to Continental who made and
sold the same design rig as the Continental 314.

It is a pulse width modulated rig.  Only tubes are pair 3-500Z in the
final and another 3-500Z for a pulse switching tube.

A couple guys have put them on 160.  Don't know about higher bands.
The B+ supply is 8 KV.  I am glad some guys can use this rig but it
doesn't interest me all that much because about all I get is high
level plate modulated class C rigs.  I understand the general theory
of the class D stuff but it's too out there for me.
Also, 8 KV is full of surprises unless you know how to deal with it.

Rob
K5UJ