[AMRadio] Vertical antennas

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Nov 2 14:15:01 EST 2015

From: Jim Isbell, W5JAI [mailto:jim.isbell at gmail.com]

> OK, I will throw a monkey wrench in the works.

> I have just put a new metal roof on  my house,  30x70...approx....

> I want to put a longwire along the ridge.  How high above the roof, how long, do I connect the roof

> to the ground or just let it float?

If you think the sheets in the metal roof make good electrical contact with each other, that  should make an excellent ground plane in itself. I don’t think you need to worry about  running a ground connection to the earth from the roof.  In fact, it might even hurt  the effectiveness; I read somewhere that running an earth ground to an elevated radial system may reduce the efficiency of the antenna.

---