[AMRadio] Vertical antennas

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Fri Nov 6 14:24:19 EST 2015

Well I am not an expert on this type of thing but if I was going to use the
roof as a counterpois / ground plane I would tie all the metal sheets
together electricly with wire straps.  The more the better. Bad connections
could cause a lot of arcing that may not even be visable but could cause a
lot of harmful harmonic  noise, not to mention loss of radiation power. It
may be more trouble than it is worth!  20 ft above the roof is not very high
for 7 mhz and lower.  As for as grounding the roof for lighting, I just
don't know.  I have read that lighting rods with pointed ends do acutally
work, as for as bleeding off static build up, but I think they have things
called brushes with lots of wire (like a wire brush that is install at tower
tops and heavy cable run down to the earth that is said to work better. ???
Any way,  my thought is to add more tower hight and run dipoles.
John, WA5BXO