[AMRadio] When talking about AM power

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 06:14:18 EDT 2015

About the only thing that would be nice about SDR is the fish finder.

But for me the cons outweigh the pros:

Have to have a computer.
Have to "boot up" the rig
Forget fixing anything if it breaks.  Throw away the PC card or maybe
the whole thing and get another one.  Or "send it in to the shop."

Whenever I hear a ham say "The rig is out for repairs" I think how
sad.  I am trying to not be one of those type hams.

Does anyone really know how one of those rigs works?  Can I point to a
cap or resistor and ask what is that there for and get an answer?  Is
there a schematic even?

The cost.  $3500 !!! at least for that Anan thing, a little box with
an on/off switch.  Does anyone think that 3500 dollar rig will be
running in 40 years?  I guess it doesn't matter for me because I'll be
SK most likely but 3500 can buy some nice antenna improvements that
won't go out of date.  I work some piss weak guys with SDRs and I wish
they had spent the money on a higher antenna, hi.

And the software fee.  If you get a Flex Radio you have to pay a
regular maintenance fee.  What do they think this is, the iPhone
(which I think is also for suckers).

The whole thing with computers and software is a red alert.   How long
before an OS update, or a new driver, or some other issue comes up and
the user is plunged into incompatibility hell looking for dependencies
or decoding gibberish from some computer geek because the rig won't
work.  Or the computer craps out and has to be replaced.  I just want
to fire everything up and have a QSO.   For now having a nice spectrum
display isn't worth the hassle, time and cost.

73

Rob
K5UJ