[AMRadio] When talking about AM power

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 10:09:43 EDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Larry Szendrei <ne1s at securespeed.us> wrote:

Yeah, but if you're going to use a computer anyway for non-ham stuff you'll
> eventually be dealing with that regardless,

Exactly. No one can see inside your station except you. And it's not like
we're not already using computer technology for other radio-related things
like......this.

Reminds me of a very vocal mid-Atlantic AMer a few years back who preached
that computers didn't belong in a 'classic' station or whatever, swore he
would *never* have one in his station, etc etc. Then once day the secret
got out. Someone visited or he let slip on the air that he had a laptop in
his station that he used for recording and playback of audio and other
things. Huh. (o:

As to the SoftRock approach you mentioned Larry, I recall a writeup on
'fone a several years ago done by Gary/W2INR about the SoftRock kit made
for the R-390A receiver and probably others. Basically it gave you the
benefits of the display while still using your old tube receiver. The best
of both worlds. I still need to track down one of those kits. Interesting
that you used something similar or maybe the same kit on your SX28. That
must provide quite a display - panadaptor deluxe!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4