[AMRadio] OT SDR

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:07:27 EDT 2015

Bob,

Okay so it isn't expensive.  what about the rest.  Can you fix it when
it breaks?  How does it work?   Do you get a schematic?  Do you think
it will last 20 years?   Sorry but my experience with free software is
you get what you pay for.  When it comes to computer stuff for radio,
I have a pretty short amount of patience because my radio time is for
radio and not computer.  I'll give a problem maybe 10 minutes and if
it doesn't work it goes into the garbage or back for a refund.  Life's
too short for QRP and flaky gadgets.

Larry,

Thanks for your information.  I remember the SoftRock things.  I think
a guy in Indiana made them, but he never had any in stock.  He must
have made them annually in batches of 10 at a time and they were
bought up immediately.  Never got my hands on one.

In a way, I think SDR makes sense maybe for slopbucket and digital
modes, but since AM and CW are the two legacy transmission modes that
lend themselves so readily to vintage gear, it is hard for me to
understand the need to computerize it.   Actually CW even more so.
Here is a mode that involves simple keying of a class C RF final to
make radiotelegraph code characters and folks want to use a digital
computer rig to do that.  Seems like a lot of unnecessary
complication.

73

Rob
K5UJ