[AMRadio] In Defence of Old Buzzard Transmissions

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Oct 10 16:01:19 EDT 2015

Some people like short, quick exchanges, while others prefer the round-table
type of QSO. In roundtables the transmissions can get lengthy, so it can be
difficult to maintain the thread of a conversation, particularly with more
than a couple of  stations in the QSO.

To me, it depends.  If I just want to rag chew with no urgent topic at hand,
the round-table is fine, but when discussing a specific topic that requires
exchanging pertinent information with another person, such as instructions
on how to  do something, the quick-exchange works better.  In any case, I
prefer to keep the group small, 3 or 4 participants, maximum.  "When the
group  grows to four, that's the time to hit the door"...   time to branch
off  to another frequency and start a new QSO, thus increasing AM presence
in the band. Something I find particularly annoying, however, is for
someone to break into a QSO, knowing their signal is piss-weak, and then
proceed to make a filibuster transmission...  "The weaker they are, the
longer they talk."

Some of us have been repeatedly admonished for making excessively long
transmissions.  However, there is one situation where the old-buzzard
transmission is the way to go, and I don't mind four or more others in the
QSO (as long as everyone in the group is delivering a readable signal to
everyone else). When band conditions are good and everyone in the  group has
solid copy, I like to carry on a casual conversation while working on a
project at the bench, or as the other night, doing some household chore like
snapping green beans, something that occupies both hands, without demanding
full undivided mental effort while working.  That way, one can get in some
useful bench time between transmissions, and when it's one's time to
transmit, that provides a pleasant break from tasks like soldering and
wiring up a circuit, digging for something in the junk box,  or drilling,
filing, sawing and other metal work.  It's very  difficult to do those tasks
while carrying on a quick-exchange type of QSO.

OTOH, this  seldom works with problem-solving tasks like studying a
schematic or trying to troubleshoot a malfunction.

You can usually tell that's what I'm doing, when someone turns it over to
me, and it takes 15 seconds or more before I start transmitting.

Don k4kyv

---