[AMRadio] SDR AM

Jack JM at D8ALUS.NET
Sat Oct 10 18:39:26 EDT 2015

Rather a Luddite view, IMHO.

-----Original Message-----
From: AMRadio [mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Rob Atkinson
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2015 6:21 PM
To: manualman
Cc: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] SDR AM

I stand corrected.  FlexRadio backed off from that and I didn't know about it.

Instead, you have to pay for any major software upgrade, similar to what Microsoft does with Windows but you can keep using your
current version of software as long as you want (however I imagine in 15 years they won't want to keep supporting it but who
knows--by then your computer will probably have to have a new OS etc. anyway and it won't be backward compatible with old
applications).

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/when_does_the_payment_for_upgrades_for_software_start_again

However, it is still a PC/Software based rig and as such, is subject to hard drive crapouts, viruses, malware, etc. if on a network,
a continual stream of bug fixes for this and that, and so on.  I have enough complexity in my life as it is and am not looking for
more.

73

Rob
K5UJ