[AMRadio] Economic hippy

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Sat Oct 10 20:16:23 EDT 2015

On 10/10/15 1:14 PM, CL in NC wrote:
> To me, a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks no matter what era.
Well, there's the effect of inflation on goods priced in dollars which
is very real. $1K in 1960 had the same purchasing power as $8K today.
And that's using the CPI numbers, which are arguably manipulated and
understate the true rate of inflation. Blame the Federal Reserve!
> Not wanting to go into debt for that sort of thing puts me in the
> economic
>   hippy category according to a finance guy who thought trying to be
> debt free was not the modern way.
I resemble that remark!

I bought one "Kilobuck" radio in my life, a TS-440S back in 1986 or so,
which is my one-and-only "ricebox" and my only "modern" radio (excluding
the SDR stuff, which cost much less).

One of the attractions of amateur radio and AM in particular, to me, is
that it is possible to enjoy the hobby without spending much. My general
modus operandi is to take between $30 - $80 of "mad money" to a hamfest
- less for the smaller ones and more for the larger fests - and buy
mainly parts to keep the junkbox stocked for all the construction,
repair, and restoration projects. I'm definitely not a big spender in
this hobby.

73,
-Larry/NE1S