[AMRadio] SDR

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Mon Oct 12 17:31:48 EDT 2015

All,

The SDR using RaspberryPI systems are nothing more than what is inside
an Android Phone or Tablet.  They use ARM7 processors.

The Android Phones get "firmware" updates on a regular basis.

To any that worry about the Operating Systems, the RaspberryPI systems,
Android Phones and/or Tablets are ALL running Linux.

It is simply a version of Unix that is published under Creative Commons
Public License.

I don't see that the SDR using these platforms is ever going to become
obsolete in my lifetime.  I may well be 65, but all my relatives,
Mother, Father, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents have lived to at least 84.

I figure I'll keep kicking and using, building, and repairing the SMT
circuits for a long time to come!

I too remember the Mohawk Computers that used the 4004 CPU.  Then Apple
came along with the 6502, CP/M came out on Z-80s, and I have managed to
work the different software either through Assembly, Machine, Binary, (I
worked on the Hughes 3118B system that used core memory!), lived through
MS-DOS, IBM-DOS on the 360 systems, and every version of Windows through
64 bit 7.

So longevity is not a big deal!  The RaspberryPI systems only develop
issues when folks load them up to every possible method of device
attachment is in full use and the owner doesn't add the fan option!

So all those that get to where their drawers are in a Knot over worrying
having to toss it out and buy new, just need to relax. The solid state
lasts for very long periods of time when treated right.  You wouldn't
run 3-500Zs without a fan would you?

I still have an early '60s AM/FM transistor radio that works just as
well as it ever did!

Those of us that restored and used old military surplus tube based gear
had to take care of it also.

Regards, Bob - N0DGN