[AMRadio] ARRL defends hams freedom to use modified non-ham gear on the ham bands

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:15:42 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Donald Chester <k4kyv at charter.net> wrote:

> At present, hams are allowed to homebrew a transmitter from scratch.  It
> would be difficult to legally distinguish a piece of modified commercial
> gear from a homebrew rig, but remember the FCC ignored the laws of physics
> to impose a bogus power limit.

Let's not forget they ignored physics when they allowed BPL also.

While nothing has been proposed regarding broadcast rigs as far as I
know, I must say if I were running a broadcast rig on the ham bands,
they'd have to come take it away to get me to stop.

The great irony is that broadcast rigs are MUCH BETTER in almost every
way--in terms of meeting audio response and fidelity and spurious
emission requirements, than most if not all HAM RIGS made and sold.

Ham transmitters have to meet watered down technical requirements
compared to commercial/professional equipment.  The ham bands would
probably be a lot cleaner if every ham moved a non-ham rig into the
ham bands and ran it!

73

Rob
K5UJ