[AMRadio] Cart and horse, chicken and egg, etc.

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Thu Oct 15 15:56:57 EDT 2015

Obviously, back in the "good old days" there was tons and tons of surplus
parts available that could be got for cheap. A trip to the local TV/Radio
repair shop could gather several old TV chassis with lots of parts.
Today, the surplus parts market is gone. Parts cost money and require
time and energy to procure. Today's kids have school and lots of other
activities and parents may be doing multiple jobs just to pay the bills.
That leaves the "well off" and the seniors. The "well off" don't need to
build things. If they need or want something, they just go buy it. The
seniors on the other hand who have built stuff in the past and enjoyed
it, now have to deal with poor eyesight, shaky hands, and other physical
or mental anomalies that may prohibit them from building stuff. Then
there are those who just enjoy repair and restoration of older equipment
and don't want to build stuff from scratch. The magazines are just
adjusting to the times.

Pete, wa2cwa