[AMRadio] Cart and horse, chicken and egg, etc.

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 18:36:17 EDT 2015

I guess it is a combination of things.   First, they have to have hams
submitting articles.  No submissions, no articles.  But in case you
don't know, the QST editorial staff is J-school types now, not
technical types.  ARRL went to what are supposedly professional
magazine writers instead of engineers at some point in the past.  Oh,
they have technical people, a couple at least like Joel Hallas and
Ward Silver but what they do seems to mostly be Q&A columns.  Last
time they hired someone in editorial, I forget her name now, they
published her credentials and it was all Journalism type education and
nothing technical.   This is probably why they run these occasional
bloopers, like the article on modifying an Ameritron leenyar a year or
two ago that advised wadding a lot of wire into the cabinet to use as
a voltage drop for the filaments to the tubes.

Another problem is that anything that seems seriously technical winds
up in QEX.   See, content that is challenging, alienates the consumer
electronics hams, so it has to be put in QEX instead.  But they do run
some occasional technical pieces, just not all that often.  Remember
Lew McCoy, Doug DeMaw, George Grammer, Ed Tilton, etc.?   Those were
the days when the editorial staff was all technical guys.  Every issue
had at least two good articles on building.  Now there will be maybe
one article every year or two that involves tubes and h.v.  When that
happens, the article is plastered with hand wringing warnings about
high voltage and RF Exposure (gasp).

I know guys who are building from scratch doing all the metal work and
so on, and they are my age or younger and either aren't writers, or
don't have the time.   Seems like the people I know who are building,
barely have time to build, let alone write.

To be fair, CQ is about as bad.

CL, do you subscribe to Electric Radio?  Smaller size, articles about
tube gear and building....might be right up your alley.

73

Rob
K5UJ