[AMRadio] Laws of Physics Repealed

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 18:46:18 EDT 2015

OK fellers, you've totally missed the point pf all this amazing stuff. If you talk to somebody who owns any truncated antenna, they will tell you
this every time, " I can work every body I hear".  That can be across town, or across the state, or the fellow doing all the work in the QSO with stacked
20 meter monobanders at 200 feet running 1.5KW and the worlds best receiver.  It's what they never hear which really determines
the lack of function, and apparently, ignorance is bliss.  The 43 foot vertical has been around for a long time, it is even in the back of a 30's era handbook,
and for some reason has made a serious comeback lately.  I have had one ground mounted with a radial field and homebrew remote tuner for 40 years in my antenna arsenal, and was confused by
the claims for the new ones that came out as 'no tuner needed' or '1:1 balun allows all band coverage'.  I asked the DX Engineering guys at Dayton
one year how this could be.  His answer was simple, to paraphrase, "If their rig with a tuner will match the load coming back on their coax,
the modern operator does not care if the SWR on the line is atrocious as long as they can work what they can hear."

Charlie, W4MEC in NC