[AMRadio] WARNING: Overload protection is not 100% reliable even when relays are functioning properly

Steve WA1QIX wa1qix at piesky.com
Mon Oct 26 08:09:24 EDT 2015

This is a definite overload scenario, and there really should be a
detection element for this condition.

In the overload protection system I use for the solid state
transmitters, one of the inputs is SWR.  This is very easy to detect
- I modified an existing SWR meter and fed the forward and reflected
power outputs back to the overload shutdown system.  A comparator
compares the reflected power to the forward power, and if the
reflected power is too high, that's an overload and the system shuts down.

SWR shutdown is part of virtually every "rice box", and it's not too
hard to implement.

Regards,  Steve