[AMRadio] Vertical antennas

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Fri Oct 30 13:54:41 EDT 2015

 Bob, N0DGN, wrote:

"It is not that I am not a fan of verticals!   It has to do with what I
could cobble together to put up!  It most likely would be so fouled up
with loading coils that it would be essentially be a dummy load.

"I'd procure a pretty decent one if the budget would allow." I'm about as cheap as they come when it comes to spending money onantennas.  I'm still using the wire that my uncle left in our basement whenhe moved from KY to CA in 1942 for the 268' flat top in my all-band, center fed "Zepp." Several years ago I put up a center-fed, vertical doublet, 33 feet tall.  I usedthose military surplus, plug-together fiberglass pole sections to make a mast.I would have gone taller, but 33 feet was as long as I could make the mast beforeit would split in the center as I was walking it up with one end tied to the ground.  I feed the antenna with 300 ohm, open wire line - I picked up a big rollof the stuff out of someone's garbage.  My balanced antenna tuner is home-madefrom WW2 surplus caps and coils, mostly BC-375 like stuff.  The antenna has nolossy loading coils and no radials.  Its bottom is only about six inches above the ground.It loads up and works out well on the bands from 30 through 10 meters.  EZNEC says it has good, low-angle radiation over that range.  It still would have had good low-angle performance if I had been able to make it as much as 40 feet long, and it might have loaded on 40 meters as well.  It works out well, it handles the 600 watt output of my SB-200 if necessary, it is definitely not a dummy load, and it is CHEAP!   73, Jim, W8KGI