[AMRadio] Play in Valiant VFO knob

Steve Wender tobiebw2 at newmexico.com
Thu Aug 18 09:40:21 EDT 2016

Hi All,

Well, I am still working on fixing the Valiant VFO play in the VFO.  I
took the front panel off and a lot of the VFO shielding to look at the
coupling.  There is a bakalite spider that goes from 3/16" shaft on the
variable cap to 1/4 inch reducing gear mechanism which goes to the
dial.  The bakalite spider was broken and needs to be replaced.  Any one
have one around?  I have a choice of repairing the spider-- I need a new
bakalite piece or using a direct metal coupling.  I think i can make a
coupling out of metal because I think the rotor of the cap is at ground
but I will not have the flexibility in the drive shaft.  I can try to
repair the spider by drilling out the rivets and replacing the bakalite
sheet-- have to find some bakalite sheet or use something else.   Any
thougths?

The fun continues.

Steve KC5WN