[AMRadio] Very low MUF

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Sun Dec 18 20:15:48 EST 2016

It is not uncommon during much of December, especially in the days
around the winter solstice, for the maximum usable frequency to dip
very low after sunset, and remain low for much of the night.

One evening last week, I could only hear WWV on 2.5 MHZ, and what I
think was WWVH down in the noise on 5 MHZ. There were a few weak CW
signals on the low end of 40 meters, but everything above about 7.150
was empty.

The winter solstice occurs this Wednesday, Dec. 21, so look out for
lower frequency propagation tricks especially this week.

--
Mike Duke, K5XU