[AMRadio] Winter Solstice AM Broadcast Propagation recollections

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Sun Dec 18 20:33:15 EST 2016

The only two times I ever heard KFI (640 KHZ in Los Angeles) from my
Mississippi QTH occurred within the last two weeks of December. I don't
remember the exact date, but the last time I heard them was at least 30
years ago.

Similarly, as a kid who was convinced that WLS was the absolute
ultimate in rock 'n roll radio, one of my goals was to hear them at
noon. I did it twice. Both times were on or within 2 or 3 days of Dec.
21. Again, this was from my Mississippi QTH which was about 200 miles
southeast of Memphis, TN. That will never happen again for reasons that
we all know too well.

During those much more quiet listening environment days, I would also
often hear WLW, KMOX, and other signals that were normally heard only
at night, as late as 10 AM or so this time of the year.

Oh, the magic of radio!

--
Mike Duke, K5XU