[AMRadio] Winter Solstice AM Broadcast Propagation recollections

Oliver Steiner steinerviolinist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 02:34:45 EST 2016

I was born in late 1943, and heard New York City classical music
station WQXR virtually 24/7 from the little Emerson AM broadcast radio
that sat atop the refrigerator in my parents kitchen.  Raised on mass
doses of classical music, I came to love it, and was very pleased to
be able to hear it at night when my work took me to Portland, ME,
Western PA, Rochester, NY and then Atlanta. (This was before the
internet and web sites with streaming audio.)  Hearing WQXR from these
various locations was possible because WQXR was one of the very few
classical music stations in the country that then had an AM outlet (on
1560 KHz) as well as their FM station on 96.3 MHz.  My love of
classical music ultimately resulted in my going into it as my life's
profession.  (I'm now a semi-retired classical violinist and teacher.)
 Three guesses as to why I chose the call W2QXR when vanity licensing
came in!!

Ollie
W2QXR

http://oliversteiner.com