[AMRadio] Winter Solstice AM Broadcast Propagation recollections

Bill Guyger bguyger at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 12:55:58 EST 2016

In the front lobby at Continental Electronics is a tube out of the XERF transmitter and a schematic of the transmitter. James Weldon the founder of Continental designed and built the rig. When Collins Radio was selling off its broadcast division Continental bought the designs and assets and continued building some of the gear and mixed in their own designs. All of the FM transmitters at the stations I work for are Continental and they're great rigs, we even have a Rockwell "rocket ship" version of the 831G as a back up, but I'm afraid that Continental is well on its way down the drain. We had several Collins AM transmitters but they'e been replaced by newer designs (one of which has a high coefficient of suck).
I know that Jim Tonne worked for Collins along with other engineering greats like Jack Sellmeyer but the company that exists today is a shell of its former self.
Bill AD5OL