[AMRadio] Can you have Class D and Class E tube amps?

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Dec 27 11:15:50 EST 2016

The classes of operation, a,b,c,d,e, etc. can be applied to solid state or tubes. The Retro75 and Retro40 transceivers made by Small Wonder labs used a class D RF output stage using a power FET followed by a LPF. Both class D and E can use sine wave drive, or preferably a single polarity pulse that is about 40-45% the width of a half cycle. The output circuit for class D is a LPF, and for class E, it is a resonant tank. Class E is usually a little more efficient, but class D is simpler in that no tuning is required.
For 137Khz, if the old 1 watt DC input rule is still in effect, you want the highest efficiency possible. Therefore class E would be desired. Should be able to get 95% or higher efficiency.

JimWd5JKO