[AMRadio] Modulator question

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Mon Feb 1 02:21:28 EST 2016

In modulator service in class AB1, the screen should be run at about 300
volts DC and no more. It will run very hot above this. It should be
regulated if possible. I built a replacement screen modulator for the
1625s in a DX100, using EL34s. I made a simple regulator for the screen
run off a divider from the 6146 plate voltage. The connection seen in
some old audio amplifiers shows ultra-linear transformer connection
where the screen is connected to a tap on the output transformer which
does put the plate voltage DC level on the screen but it also has a
percentage of the output AC voltage on it. I wouldn't recommend this
unless you have the Acrosound ulta-linear transformer.

John
K5PRO

Message: 6