[AMRadio] The Future Of AM Broadcast Radio

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Wed Feb 24 16:05:24 EST 2016

There is an interesting in the current edition of Electronic Design dot com about the future of AM Radio.

The Future of AM Radio

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| The Future of AM RadioCan you believe AM radio is still around? Seems so retro, but it is still useful. Nevertheless, AM radio has been in decline for years, with many AM stations going ... |
|  |
| View on electronicdesign.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

One comment at the end struck me. This was from Don Tuite2:

"It's more about revenue models than modulation. Circa 1975, I supplemented my free-lance tech-writing with a part-timeDJ gig as the bridge DJ between the morning-drive and nighttime jocks at a 5-kW am directional (with fm simulcast). I'd play the 45s the program director picked out for me, punched up the carts with the long-running ads, read the one-shot ads the station copywriter typed up, pulled the hourly news off the teletype, taped the feed from Paul Harvey, all for minimum wage.
 That's not to complain about how underpaid I was, but to point out how many jobs that pipsqueak operation in a couple of rooms over a candy store: a GM, a couple salesmen, a copywriter, a part-time engineer, 3 DJs, and a admin.
 And it made money for the license-owner.
 And most of the ads were local. And, when there was a high school basketball game we could get a telco feed from, the night DJ would have a couple of hours of light duty reading the local commercials while one of the salesmen called the play-by-play and interviewed the coaches during halftimes.
 Today, local am is all automated with canned feeds from some common source in Texas. Or Mars, or somewhere. One salesperson can service half a state.
 Meanwhile the people in the larger demographics are streaming custom content and paying for it directly.
 See what you've done, Lou. . . you've made me nostalgic for CONELRAD alerts."
JimWd5JKO