[AMRadio] Regarding Radio Moscow and 40 meters

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 25 19:24:50 EST 2016

"Then, I came up with the silly notion of getting a crystal for 7157.
That simply meant I would get hammered from BC stations on both 7155
and 7160 at the same time.

Somehow, despite all that racket, I managed to get 38 states confirmed
and 45 states worked on 40 meters as a Novice."
During the 1980's, I was facing the same issue with 40m. One experiment was to run very narrow FM on 7157.5. Here I was crammed between two big SW broadcast stations. I got Ralph, KD6OS to do the same thing. As I recall we had a weekly schedule every Saturday night using FM. I made a reactance modulator for a Heath Kit VF-1 VFO, and used a 2M KDK FM rig to receive the FM. The main receiver was a SP-600, and the 455 Khz IF output fed into the KDK. Using the SP-600 3 Khz selectivity position set the receive bandpass.
I was driving a Globe King 500 in the CW mode, and Ralph did the same with a Johnson Desk KW on high tap. There were times that we had full quieting from the FM capture effect. It got ugly with QSB though since the noise would jump out of the speaker, kind of had to keep a hand on the AF gain control. Overall, this was quite successful!
JimWd5JKO