[AMRadio] The Future Of AM Broadcast Radio

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Feb 26 11:17:44 EST 2016

> The only reason AM radio still exists is because no one has figured out a
way
> to use it for sending and receiving smart phone and other gadget data.  If
> some new high tech doo-dad ever comes out that is popular and somehow
> needs HF or medium wave, FCC will do a spectrum grab in a second and guys
> like us sitting around with analog tube gear and microphones will be
screwed.

That was a big issue with the recent 1900-2000 160m proceeding. Everyone
knew that GPS has rendered Radiolocation in that part of the spectrum
obsolete and that it would never likely re-appear, but all it would  have
taken would have been for someone to come up with some kind of gadget or new
technology that could vaguely relate to radiodetermination, call it a form
of "radiolocation", and get the FCC to grant licences in that part of the
band.  The recent "re-allocation" decision now makes that  much more
unlikely. I found it incomprehensible that  so many hams, even regular
top-banders and certain AMers, blew the whole thing off as a non-issue, even
to the point of deriding those who were actively promoting comments to the
FCC in support of the proposal that the FCC had, in a very unusual case,
initiated on its own.

The "AM Revitalization"  program is heavy laden in backward thinking.
Besides "FM translators", another idea currently floated by the FCC is to
eliminate sky-wave protection of the Class A  (AKA "clear channel") stations
altogether, and make the entire band one big cluster of "graveyard channels"
like the present 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490. I suppose  some
would promote such nonsense as "adapting to the 21st century".

Don k4kyv