[AMRadio] Petition to FCC for Lifetime licenses

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Feb 26 11:51:59 EST 2016

> I believe that the bottom line of all this is that the FCC would just as
soon not
> have to deal with 'personal' licenses anymore.
> ...We all know how they handled
> the CB licensing issue back in the Seventies.  I'm sure that if they
thought
> they could get by with it, they would just eliminate all license classes
issued
> to individuals.

> Mike, WB0LDJ

The one thing preventing that, I believe, is that the ITU treaty requires
each country to license and test  their amateur radio operators.  That was
what kept the code  test with us for so long.  When that international
requirement was finally dropped and every country was allowed to "decide for
itself" whether to maintain a code test, most countries, the USA included,
dropped their code test like a hot potato. I suspect the international
treaty is the only thing keeping amateur licensing from going the way of CB,
i.e. with a so-called "blanket" licence implied for anyone  possessing a
transmitter.

Along  with de-licensing would likely come the imposition of strict
type-acceptance or type-certification for all  transmitters.  Homebrew rigs
and converted BC transmitters would be declared illegal; SDR technology
might end up being the only thing legal to operate.

> Of course, none of this bodes well for the hams and others who studied for
> their licenses and passed exams to get them.  For that matter, I haven't
seen
> the millions of new licensees that were predicted to come aboard once the
> CW requirement was dropped.

Yep, that didn't happen, just as it didn't happen with "Novice Enhancement",
the  no-code Tech, the 5 wpm Extra and all the other changes that were
supposed to  "Revitalize" amateur radio.  Now they're talking about
"Revitalizing" the AM broadcast service, with the same likely result.

> Thankfully, there doesn't seem to be that much chaos on the bands than
> there was before the CW requirement was dropped, although 80/75 meter
> SSB has quite a bit of racist and gutter talk in the evenings, so I don't
spend
> much time there.

Not just limited to 75m, but it's not as bad as many had feared.  The same
with deliberate interference and jamming.  You do hear more CB lingo and
CB-like operating practices on the ham bands than before, but it could have
been worse.  OTOH, a few no-coders have gone on to become active and
prominent  AMers who put out strapping signals and homebrew their own
equipment.

Don k4kyv