[AMRadio] Freezing electrolytics and other stuff

w5jo at brightok.net w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Jan 3 17:45:07 EST 2016

Charlie,

Check the specifications for the caps you plan to use.  Looking at the
specifications for aluminum electrolytic caps I see the minimum operating
temperature range from -25 to -50 C.  I looked at the Mouser site to find
those numbers.  Give that information I don't think I would be concerned.
What is of concern is how old they are.  As they age the paste will dry so,
if you are using caps that are old I would do a leakage test.

A few years back I ordered some Sprague caps to have for stock.  They have
been stored in a climate controlled atmosphere (read indoors heated and
cooled) for about 6 years.  I installed some of them in a receiver and in
about a year they started leaking.  I replaced them with more from stock and
the same thing, so I ordered new ones and the problem went away.  I can only
guess they all came from a bad batch.  They were of different values and
voltages.  I have yet to understand why that happened.

Jim
W5JO