[AMRadio] "FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016" to affect towers and masts over 50 feetin height.

w5jo at brightok.net w5jo at brightok.net
Tue Jul 19 12:09:26 EDT 2016

I have sent a message to my congressman expressing my dismay with the tower
provision of HR 636 but doubt it will do any good with him.  He is typically
a head in the sand type and won't buck the leadership.  So I contacted my
ARRL Division Director about it.

In the discussion he, too, is a bit dismayed and the position of the ARRL is
they have determined that the law will not apply because of the "adjacent"
clause section in the bill.  However we still have to deal with Rules and
Regulations issued by the Administrator of the FAA and who knows what that
person will do.  There have been several attempts in Texas to pass a bill
like this but it always failed.  Evidently the Crop Dusters made an end run
to Washington and will lobby the FAA to their point of view.

My director is going to contact the legal counsel for the ARRL and ask for
clarification.  I will bet the author or his staff cannot do that because
they do not really understand what they have done.

So it behooves us to watch the FAA rules and regulations to see what they
do.  Given the number of those being issued by the administration, that will
be a daunting task.

Jim
W5JO