[AMRadio] FW: "FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016" to affect towers and masts over 50 feet in height.

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Jul 19 13:45:25 EDT 2016

> On Behalf Of
> Jack

> As an amateur radio operator for close to sixty years and a pilot for over
forty
> years I can appreciate both sides of the argument. For the sake of
discussion,
> let's assume both activities are hobbies and that the hobbyists in each
harbor
> beliefs that their hobby is the more important. Of course, that is an
invalid
> premise since towers have a potential detrimental impact on non-hobbyist
> aviation interests. Let's ignore that aspect for now.
>
> The lack of a tower may make communications difficult or impossible. An
> unlighted tower can kill people. Which is more important? From my
> perspective, the aviation side of the equation wins - hands down.

Precisely the reason why aircraft in most situations are required to stay at
least 500 ft. above the ground, and why towers 200 ft. and higher are
supposed to be marked and lighted.  That has worked with minimal mishaps
since the dawn of aviation and radio, which have pretty much developed and
grown over the same time period together.

Don k4kyv