[AMRadio] Cell towers (was FAA Reauthorization Act H.R. 636, short tower regulation)

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Jul 24 14:23:28 EDT 2016

> Around here (southern NH), lots and lots of people are giving up their
> landlines and going all-cellular for their phone service.
>
> Funny how the opposition to new cell towers just melts away....
>
> Rick WA1RKT

Phone carriers are now offering  so-called 'home cellular' service, where
the customer gets to keep his landline number and even his wired house
phones.  Instead of to the incoming copper pair, the in-house wiring is
connected to a small box with antenna and operates off the cellular system,
just like a regular mobile phone.  Some of these are excellent quality, and
sound pretty much identical to the old landline phone.

I  suspect this is the wave of the future for land line telephones.
Telephone companies are trying to phase out copper pair land lines, and I'd
bet their plan is to eventually replace all the copper pairs with these.
Locally, a traditional land line has gone up in price to something like $90
a month, while the same carrier offers home cellular for about $20 a month
(plus the usual hidden taxes and fees). The scheme is not to force anyone to
convert, but to make landlines so expensive no-one will use them.  It is
already very difficult to get landline service to newly developed housing
plots.

For those of us old enough to remember, think back to the days of open-wire
telephone lines with poles, cross-arms and the pretty glass insulators you
now see for sale in antique shops.  In larger cities, some of those
telephone poles had a dozen or more cross-arms and over 100 separate #10
wires strung from pole to pole.  Alongside most highways were similar poles,
but usually only two or three cross-arms.  In any case, after an ice or wind
storm, those things were usually a real mess to straighten out. Open-wire
telephone lines were mostly phased out in the late 50s and early 60s, but
they can still occasionally be seen in a few rural areas to-day, some
abandoned as some still in use.  If people in their neat, identical-looking
houses in well-manicured suburban developments think present-day cell towers
and ham antennas are an eyesore, they should browse through a few old
photographs and see what neighbourhoods  looked like back then.

Don k4kyv