[AMRadio] Landline vs cell

Steve WA1QIX wa1qix at piesky.com
Mon Jul 25 16:02:35 EDT 2016

I still have a landline here, but it costs over $100/month because I
want call forwarding and caller ID (which are both expensive).

Have been considering dropping it, but I do like the reliability.

However, recently I got a "cable" (Comcast) delivered phone -
converted a 2nd land line I had over to the Comcast phone service -
kept the same number, etc.  THAT service is of VERY high quality -
better than the land line, in fact.  It's DEAD silent (no hum, etc)
the audio is clean and the frequency response is quite
reasonable.  And it's significantly less expensive.

Could be an option, I suppose.  During a power outage, you would have
to keep your local cable interface powered up, or obviously your
phones would die.  The box I got has a battery which will keep it
alive for some amount of time (don't know how long).