[AMRadio] Landline vs cell

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Tue Jul 26 14:43:43 EDT 2016

When Sandy came through the metro NY/NJ area in 2013, POTS service went
down in many areas. Telephone lines and poles were scattered all over the
place. Several central switching offices were flooded badly. Some were
never restored. For others, it took months to get them back up and
running. Most of the area had no above or below ground electricity for a
week or more but I never lost cell phone service. For the cell phone,
Hi-Fi quality is unimportant to me. If I can make the connection and the
messages are passed and readable, that's all that counts to me. I got rid
of POTS service many years ago. Too much cross talk, dead air, fast busy,
and other anomalies brought reliability down to near zero. My in house
landline is now through my cable service. Works extremely well and I can
even use my 500-type telephone on it.

Pete, wa2cwa