[AMRadio] Landline vs cell

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:18:33 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:43 PM,  <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> When Sandy came through the metro NY/NJ area in 2013, POTS service went
> down in many areas. Telephone lines and poles were scattered all over the
> place. Several central switching offices were flooded badly. Some were
> never restored. For others, it took months to get them back up and
> running.

>From what I heard it was different up on L.I. and a bit north of NYC.

Most of the area had no above or below ground electricity for a
> week or more but I never lost cell phone service. For the cell phone,
> Hi-Fi quality is unimportant to me. If I can make the connection and the
> messages are passed and readable, that's all that counts to me.

I heard most home Verizon fake land-lines went dead when their little
lead acid battery backups ran down after around an hour.

I got rid
> of POTS service many years ago. Too much cross talk, dead air, fast busy,
> and other anomalies brought reliability down to near zero.

Pete, you must be the only person in the entire U.S. that had cross
talk, dead air and other anomalies on the good old copper twisted
pair.

We have an afternoon talk show host here on one of the big AMs who
will only take calls from people on land-lines.  He got so fed up with
the crappy cell phone audio that he told people to not bother to call
unless they were on a land line.

Oh yeah, I can do one thing no one can do on a cell phone.  I can slam
down the handset when I hang up, but I rarely do that.  I know, some
of you will be surprised thinking I do that all the time, but the old
Model 302 can take it.

73

Rob
K5UJ