[AMRadio] Landline vs cell

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Tue Jul 26 21:55:35 EDT 2016

My response ****
Pete, wa2cwa

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:18:33 -0500 Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
writes:

**** What's a Verizon fake land-line?

> I heard most home Verizon fake land-lines went dead when their
> little
> lead acid battery backups ran down after around an hour.

**** With above ground telephone lines, which are subjected to more
weathering, cross talk is not uncommon. Cross-talk during the winter
months, with snow clinging to wires up on the poles and water/snow
leakage into the cross-connect boxes, was always a problem. I could have
multiple conversations without having to dial any numbers by just lifting
the handset.
I have a friend who still has Verizon POTS(or whoever now supports that
part of the business). Recently, he lost dial tone and obviously he could
not dial out. From his cell phone, he called the service number and they
told him they would be there in 5 to 7 days to check it out. They showed
up on the 7th day, diddled up on the pole and at the local cross-connect
box and dial tone came back. Lasted about a week and then dial tone went
out again and he had to repeat the process.

You said: "good old copper twisted pair"

**** A better reality today is "old copper twisted pair".