[AMRadio] Landline vs cell

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Wed Jul 27 14:47:21 EDT 2016

As a kid I remember, when we lived in PA, having  a party line. To long
ago to remember how big a party line it was. When we moved to NJ, we had
a private line. As time progressed, cross-talk, especially during the
winter/snowy months, was very common. As time further progressed, lost of
dial tone, fast busy, lack of echo canceling, random rings, etc. became
more common. As time further progressed, local and long distance carriers
became separate, requiring separate bills each month, and each with their
own unique anomalies. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a
telephone repairman anywhere in my area up on a pole or at a
cross-connect box doing any repairs. On some of the local streets here
which still have poles and wiring, you can see telephone lines
disconnected/broken dangling in the breeze and some with their outer
insulation blowing in the breeze. The friend that I mentioned in the
around $90 for them to come out in a week to fix his problem which the
initial repair only lasted a week. I had no regrets leaving POTS in the
wind as a almost dead service even though I was employed at Bell Labs and
AT&T for many years. Even during the early years of cell service, the
writing on the wall was that the POTS life-cycle was going to reach it's
end of life for many customers in the near future.

Pete, wa2cwa