[AMRadio] Landline vs cell

Mike - WZ5Q wz5q at wz5q.net
Thu Jul 28 06:56:30 EDT 2016

> Irony..Hams arguing for wired vs wireless

That gave me a chuckle.

     In my memories, the ones that I can actually remember, we had South
Central Bell down in the Swamps of Southern Louisiana. The service was
always great. The line was dead quite with hardly ever any other
problems. When the Horrorcanes would blow thru and knock out the power
for weeks on end, we usually always had the landline available for use.
     On the rare occasion we did have a problem, service was always
prompt. I was always amazed at the depth of knowledge the technicians
possessed. Most of those guys were pretty smart cookies on many
different facets.
     Telephone Quality and Service started a gradual downhill slope in
the Swamps when BellSouth took over operations in the 80's. The slope
steepened quite a bit in the 90's and the Technicians were not of the
same caliber as experienced in the past. When we finally sold the River
House last year, phone Quality and Service was just horrid. We were
paying $45.00 a month for basic service with Caller ID, and the Long
Distance was like $.05 a minute.
     I have no landline at the new QTH. I never really liked talking on
the phone, it was used for business, logistics, emergencies, or very
short conversations. I am pretty much the same way with the cell phone.
I mainly carry it for logistics and emergencies.
     I must admit though, it seems I am now "texting" more these days. I
got sucked into this new thing about a year ago when I got a replacement
phone that had that capability and businesses/people started to send me
texts. The GPS is pretty neat too, it can be quite convenient sometimes.
Then there is the almighty Google...

73

Mike
WZ5Q