[AMRadio] FW: HARA Arena to close

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Jul 29 19:36:51 EDT 2016

> It has been about 8 years since the last time I attended and it was
> not in good shape back then.And who could forget the exploding
> latrines of '97?

> de KA4JVY

Unless the same thing happened twice, it was a  lot more recent than that.  I was there and as I recall, it was only about 5 years ago.

Even if they do find a good place, hopefully a better one, I predict attendance will drop precipitously.  I've  seen it happen before; a longtime hamfest changes venue and it takes years, if ever, for attendance to fully recover.  That's what happened to the Cincinnati hamfest, which used to be almost as good as Dayton.  The old Strickers Grove venue closed, and they moved to a very pleasant new one, with plenty of open space adorned with shade trees, but the hamfest never fully recovered.  Last I heard, they still have it every year, but it has moved to yet another location and has dwindled to a small local event.

That's similar to what I heard happened with Shelby, NC, but they managed to get the old place back a couple of years later. That's one I always wanted to attend, but never quite made it.

Don k4kyv