[AMRadio] The HARA HOORAH finally

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 18:21:36 EDT 2016

What made it great in my opinion was not that you'd find a Ranger or
Matchbox or Weller soldering iron, but that you'd find weird or
unusual items.  I have never found tower base insulators at any other
hamfest.  Dayton is where I found specialized hardware, or a gigantic
American Beauty soldering iron that was around 300 watts.    One year
I suddenly came upon a PreMax base insulator like what they made in
the early 1950s for their steel verticals.   Never seen one before or
since anywhere.  I can't begin to recall all the oddball items I've
seen but I have not been everywhere.   Maybe NearFest or Shelby score
high too but compared to regular everyday hamfests, I have found way
more items I never expected at Dayton.  There is also a lot of junk
and professional hamfesters with ridiculous prices and all that, but
there are still people willing to drag a lot to Dayton that they don't
do anywhere else.   Ask vendors who specialize.  There's one lady who
has nothing but soldering irons and books.  she told me she spends the
year searching for old soldering irons and books and only goes to
Dayton.  There's a guy who pretty much only handles air variable caps.
People like that are who make it good.

Rob
K5UJ