[AMRadio] Condx capacitors

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 09:56:33 EDT 2016

You know, I have done, or attempted to, recondition electrolytics and pretty much decided the results are mixed at best.  Most of the time they seem to recover only to fail completely after a while.  I have had a Halli S40 receiver on the side of the bench and have been working on it's filter for a week now.  It's a 10/10/30 all at 450, at first, the 10uf sections would take the 450 without incident, the 30uf though, as you raised the volts, current would increase slowly, then take off up scale.  All sections take the full 450VDC with no problems now,   It takes the charge and holds it but here is the question.  A good or new electrolytic will hold a charge for an extended time, I charged the cap to  450 on this unit, (no loads)  and came back after a bit, one section had 345, one had 165, and the 30uf section had 7 volts, measured with a VTVM.  I hit it with a charge again and it responded like a good cap when looking at the current draw as it was charged.  Under full voltage, all three sections together when under 450 draw less than 1ma.

To those who have had good luck reconditioning caps like this, has your experience given you certain signs to look for in determining whether the reconditioning is worth it?  Does a reconditioned cap that looks good on a meter, but does not maintain it's charge, indicate imminent failure?

Charlie, W4MEC in NC