[AMRadio] FCC's AM power

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 11:15:52 EDT 2016

> The PEP (peak envelope power) will be 4000 watts.

Mathematically that's correct but from a practical useable power
standpoint, average is what matters, not some transient peak that has
a nanosecond duration.

The AM power limit should have been left as it was, with dc input to
the final being measured.  PEP is entirely impractical and a
ridiculous thing to try to measure with an kind of accuracy.  It makes
the American power limit almost as much a joke as the RF Exposure
limit nonsense.  AM broadcast stations measure antenna current.  FCC
gave them some reasonable power method.  Hams have something that's
almost fiction.

What about the 375 watts?  Firstly, no one can exactly measure 375
watts.  Secondly, it doesn't take into account asymmetry if we're
going to play by the delusional PEP rule.  I cringe when I hear "I'm
running the legal 375 watts."

73
Rob
K5UJ