[AMRadio] FCC's AM power

Nick England navy.radio at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:13:14 EDT 2016

Don writes:
"We all know that an AM signal does not consist of a carrier varying up and
down in step with the audio, but a steady carrier and two sidebands, all
existing independently of each other."

Cool! If they are existing *independently* of each other this means I can
pull the VFO tube out of my AM transmitter so the carrier disappears but
the sidebands will still be there - amazing! And if I change the VFO
frequency then the sidebands don't change frequency? Far out! And if the
upper sideband exists independently of the lower sideband, then I can
change the audio input frequency to move one sideband and the other one
won't move? Equally amazing!

This message is displayed on your screen as a carrier (average gray level)
plus a whole bunch of 2D sidebands in the spatial frequency domain. And if
those things were *independent* you wouldn't be reading this......

Nick England K4NYW
www.navy-radio.com